What is Reiki?
Reiki is a natural way of healing that originates from Japan and was developed by Dr Mikao Usui. The translation to English is difficult, but it loosely means:
Rei (Ray) – Spiritual wisdom, all knowing
Ki (Kee) – Life force energy, breath
This invisible life force energy is all around us powering the universe. It is inside every living thing and is what fuels its life. The energy is intelligent and works for the greatest good, in other words it brings about whatever is the best all round solution or strategy for a client. During a session the healer connects you to this energy and creates a space where you can work with it whilst relaxing.
Reiki is often described as the most relaxation you will ever encounter, as it switches off the mind and body to allow you to fall softly into a deep state of rest.
How does Reiki work?
Reiki works with you to uncover anything that might be holding you back from being the best version of you that you can be, by getting to the root cause, so a healthier more balanced way of life can be found. This can be in the form of new thoughts; ideas, realisations, inner guidance or by changing your life altogether. Reiki heals the mind, body and spirit. It places you back in touch with your soul. For this reason it can make you feel whole again and often brings about a feeling of peace not felt before.
This all happens naturally and it can be very subtle but also on occasion very powerful. Reiki is supportive and will only initiate change in you when you are ready for it. If you aren’t ready, it will wait for the right time in the future.
You do not have to have anything wrong with your life or your health to enjoy the benefits of Reiki, but by receiving reiki healing we can address any issues and restore ourselves back to happy and healthy humans. If your life is already wonderful, Reiki will still help you to improve it. Reiki works well alongside medical treatments and is safe to use.
You only need one session to benefit from reiki, after that you decide if you want any more. The more sessions you have the greater the benefits you will experience. Often people choose to continue having sessions beyond what they initially came for. Whether you come for one session or more is completely up to you and you are never under any obligation to book again. However, I do recommend monthly sessions to keep the energy flowing. Some people opt for more frequent sessions and I am always honest about whether I believe this to be best for you or not. Each session is different as reiki works uniquely with your energy on each encounter.
Value: Your investment in you is £50 for 1.5 hours.
Currently my sessions are held at Fulwood Therapy Centre, Blackbull Lane, Fulwood, Preston, PR2 3QA.
For details about booking and payment, please visit my About page here.
Want to know more?
To read about how I started doing reiki, click here.
To read a very old blog post of mine about what reiki is, click here.
What happens in a session?
The list below should give you an idea of what a session entails, but I do work intuitively, which means sessions may vary dependant on your needs at that time.
* Upon arrival you will be offered a hot drink and a sit down for an informal chat
* On your first visit we’ll complete a short form together because legislation requires that I take some details from you and store these securely
* Once we’ve had a chat, I’ll ask you to take your shoes off but remain fully clothed and lie on your back on my therapy bed. Cushions and blankets will be provided to make you nice and comfy
* To aid your relaxation candles will be lit, incense burnt and soft music will be playing. All you have to do is drift off and forget the world whilst the reiki works its magic
* I will gently lay my hands on you during the treatment and you may feel sensations such as energy flowing, tingling and warm or cold coming from my hands
* After the reiki there will be an opportunity to ask any questions and some time to allow you to come round from your treatment
My clients report feeling amazing afterwards and have the best night’s sleep they’ve ever had.
Professional Body Membership
I am a member of the UK Reiki Federation and I abide by their Code of Ethics.
My reiki lineage
- 500BC Tibetan Monks/Sanskrit Sutras
- 1870’s Dr Mikao Usui/Usui Sensei
- 1900’s Dr Churijo Hayashi
- 1939 Mrs Hyawayo Takata
- 1973-1980 Iris Ishikuro
- 1982 Arthur Robertson (ARMA)
- 1989 Jeanine Sande (Lighten Your Way)
- 1992 Judith Tripp Chasin (Circle Way)
- 1994 Yamuna Wynn
- 1995 Nadine Permutt
- 1996 Philip Permutt (The Crystal Healer)
- 2009 Jane Alexander (Embody Soul)
- 2013 Luna Louise Harrison (True Transformations)
Reiki is not a substitute for professional medical or psychological advice and should not be used as such. It is your responsibility to inform your medical professional/s that you have chosen to undertake reiki healing as a complementary therapy.