What is Sacred Cacao?
Want to know more about Sacred Cacao? Read on…
Cacao is an Amazonian Superfood and it comes from the Theobroma Cacao plant that grows close to the equator deep in the rain forest.
The pods of this plant contain seeds, beans or nibs and it is the beans that are used to make chocolate as we know it today.
However, in ancient times, our ancestors in Central and Southern America, used it for centuries as a healing plant medicine. It then spread to Mayan culture for use in ceremonies and rituals, but was originally only available to royalty and priests. The Aztecs called it ‘Xocoatl’, which is where the name chocolate comes from.
The Aztecs and Mayans regarded Cacao as a gift from the Gods. They had multiple uses for this medicine, from rituals, ceremonies, as an aphrodisiac and a gift or exchange currency. They associated it with their Gods and Goddesses and it is woven into their mythology.
In order to drink Sacred Cacao, you had to be a person of stature and / or importance to the community. Only women were allowed to prepare it as it was said that they held the divine gifts necessary.
Eventually Cacao made its way to Spain and then its popularity grew.
Due to its unique healing properties its use spread and is now much more common. It soon became a grand gift that would be given and this is where the tradition of giving chocolate as a present comes from.
How is it different from chocolate?
We all know chocolate holds the power of love. Why else do we reach for it when in need of comfort and to gift to those we love?
When used at Ceremonial Grade, it has potent healing potential and is different from even raw/organic cacao bought in health shops and very different from chocolate. Chocolate is made from heavily processed cacao and in that processing it loses its healing properties.
Its healing capabilities are surprising. As well as being known to have physical benefits such as lowering blood pressure, Cacao has much deeper and wider healing effects on those who choose to enter into conscious relationship with Her.
I say ‘Her’ because although I personally experience Cacao as having both masculine and feminine attributes, the spirit of the plant appears to me as a goddess. This spirit is one that I often channel in my ceremonies and circles. You will sometimes hear me refer to her as the Cacao Deva.
For my events I use Ceremonial Grade Sacred Cacao from Guatemala. This is widely regarded to be the best available and the most potent. It is 100% Pure Ceremonial Grade Cacao. Using this ensures the quality and also the ethics of the growing, harvesting and processing of the plant. Please visit my events page to check for my latest offerings.
Here are some of the healing you may experience from taking Sacred Cacao –
- Sensuality expansion
- Spiritual visions
- Heightened intuition
- Opening and development of spiritual gifts
- Feelings of love, euphoria and bliss
- Being more open, loving and vulnerable in life
- Deeper meditation
- Realisations about yourself and / or your life
- Embodying more soul
- Finding what is true to you
- Release of negativity and / or blocks
- Transformation of old patterns of behaviour
- Activations and / or awakenings of dormant energy within you
- Grounding effect
- Experiencing your own divinity and / or that of others
- Illumination of your shadow
- Pain relief
- Improved mindfulness
- Increased self-awareness
- Sharpened mental focus
- Strengthened cardiovascular system and heart function
- Reduces risk of stroke and heart attack
- Regulates blood pressure
- Lowers appetite and increases carbohydrate digestion
- Regulates blood sugar levels
- Facilitates regeneration and rejuvenation
- Builds and restores stress defence shield
- Balances hormones and brain chemistry
- Strong detoxifier and repairs free radical damage
- Antidepressant qualities (not to be substituted and you must seek professional medical guidance before coming off or altering medication)
Cacao is not a psychedelic like some other plant medicines. It is a softer smoother ride, rather like the melting of chocolate on the tongue. She helps you to reach your own deep states and through that process She is able to alert you to your next stages of evolution and healing. It can feel like floating through a chocolate cosmos suspended in infinite love and surrounded by support to facilitate your inner growth for your highest good. Yummy!
I want to be clear on this blog post that I’m not a nutritionist or a scientist / Doctor, but if you’d like to know what is in the wonderful superfood plant medicine that is Scared Cacao, below is a short list of of some of those properties. Please also do your own research.
- Serotonin – sometimes called the happy chemical, because it contributes to wellbeing and happiness
- Tryptophan – an amino acid that promotes sleep quality and better mood
- Endorphins – interact with the receptors in your brain that reduce your perception of pain. Endorphins also trigger a positive feeling in the body, similar to that of morphine
- Anandamide – is a brain lipid that binds to cannabinoid receptors with high affinity and mimics the psychoactive effects of plant-derived cannabinoid drugs. Otherwise known as the bliss molecule
- Histamine – produces many varied effects within the body, including the contraction of smooth tissues of the lungs, uterus, and stomach; the dilation of blood vessels, which increases permeability and lowers blood pressure; the stimulation of gastric acid secretion in the stomach; and the acceleration of heart rate. Histamine also serves as a neurotransmitter, carrying chemical messages between nerve cells
- Theobromine -is a vasodilator, diuretic and heart stimulator.
- Dopamine – plays a part in controlling the movements a person makes, as well as their emotional responses. The right balance of dopamine is vital for both physical and mental wellbeing
- Phenyl ethylamine (PEA) – is a hormone-like substance that occurs naturally in your brain and body. It functions as a neurotransmitter that gives you heightened focus, attention, goal-directed behavior, and task-completion
- MAO Inhibitors – elevate the levels of norepinephrine, serotonin, and dopamine by inhibiting an enzyme called monoamine oxidase
- Polyphenols – anthocyanins protect cells from premature destruction
As if that wasn’t enough, She is also packed full of minerals, vitamins and anti-oxidants.
What happens at a Sacred Cacao Ceremony or Circle?
All ceremonies and Circles are unique because that is how Cacao and practitioners work. The best ones surrender to what the Cacao Deva asks for in that moment and your facilitator will work with the spirit of the plant to achieve this.
It is normal practice at a ceremony or circle for you to gather round in a circle or other arrangement to suit the requirements of the group, the practitioner may guide you through meditation or other activity to support the work being undertaken.
They will then specially prepare and bless the Cacao and this may include a prayer or ‘calling in’ of the Cacao Deva. Once prepared each participant receives the dose deemed correct for them and the group drink the Cacao together. Sacred Cacao does not taste like chocolate. It has a bitter taste closer to dark chocolate but with more earthy overtones than that. At most ceremonies or circles you will be offered honey to add to your drink if you prefer it to be sweeter.
When ingested (and sometimes even before ingestion!) the Cacao Deva will work with individuals to relax them and start the healing process. This can prompt anything from wild dancing and chanting through to deep quiet introspection, other activities may take place throughout and it is common for sound or music to be used as support.
It is usually obvious when the ceremony comes to a close because Cacao slows down.
Sacred Cacao at Ceremonial Grade does now mix well with anti-depressants, anti-psychotics, people with heart conditions or people with very low blood pressure. Please seek professional medical advice before taking any.
To read about my first time taking Sacred Cacao and meeting with the Cacao Deva, visit my blog post here.
There are a few people who I’d like to thank for their part in my journey with Cacao. Keith aka The Chocolate Shaman for freely sharing his vast knowledge and indeed his Ceremonial Grade Cacao. Also with extreme gratitude to the Cacao Deva for Her teachings and for leading me to my own teacher, the wonderful Annu Tara.
Copyright © 2016 Luna Louise Harrison at True Transformations, All rights reserved.
For more of my poetry and writings click here.
Sources are: Britanica.com, medicinenet.com and medicalnewstoday.com.